Internet Users continue to face challenges in usability despite the inadequate methods of their voices or issues to be addressed. The Internet domain industry is governed through the Multi Stakeholder model where every region is represented.
Following the key role to represent the end users of the Internet Community ICANN At-Large comprised of the At-Large Advisory Council which drafts policy recommendations that on Internet issues that affect the end users. It was a priviledge to have ILICIT Africa’s CEO – Daniel K. Nanghaka be selected to represent Africa to the third Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT3), amongs the other representatives selected include Sebastien Bachollet (Europe), Cheryl Langdon-Orr (Asia Pacific) and Vanda Scartezini (Latin America)
The specific objectives for the Accountability and Transparency (ATRT3) Review are to review ICANN’s execution of its commitment to maintain and improve robust mechanisms for public input, accountability, and transparency so as to ensure that the outcomes of its decision-making reflect the public interest and are accountable to the Internet community.
The key issues to be addressed in the ATRT 3 includes
- assessing and improving ICANN’s Board governance which shall include an ongoing evaluation of Board performance, the Board selection process, the extent to which the Board’s composition and allocation structure meets ICANN’s present and future needs, and the appeal mechanisms for Board decisions contained in these Bylaws;
- assessing the role and effectiveness of the GAC’s interaction with the Board and with the broader ICANN community, and making recommendations for improvement to ensure effective consideration by ICANN of GAC input on the public policy aspects of the technical coordination of the DNS;
- assessing and improving the processes by which ICANN receives public input (including adequate explanation of decisions taken and the rationale thereof);
- assessing the extent to which ICANN’s decisions are supported and accepted by the Internet community;
- assessing the policy development process to facilitate enhanced cross community deliberations, and effective and timely policy development;
- assessing and improving the Independent Review Process.
Learn more on the ATRT 3 can be found https://go.icann.org/2rNHzTB